What is BIS certificate?
The BIS Product Certification Scheme is open to manufacturers in all countries without discrimination. Any business entity foreign or Indian are free to apply for a BIS certificate by following their certification and licensing guidelines as follows
- Indian manufacturer can apply for grant of BIS license under the simplified scheme by furnishing test reports of samples tested by the approved laboratories followed by a field visit by BIS staff to the applicant’s factory. The license is granted within 30 days once field visit and test reports are found satisfactory and meeting BIS standards
- Indian Importers are treated at par with Indian manufacturers provided they maintain a fully equipped laboratory to conduct tests confirming to BIS standards.
- Procedure for granting BIS license to a foreign manufacturer is little more complicated and full process can be viewed by clicking this link
Do I need a BIS certificate for importing from China?
Currently food products, wire & cables, cement, electrical household appliances, dry cell batteries, steel tubes, medical equipments, automobile tires and few electronic products are covered. LED lights (self ballasted type) for general purpose lighting and fixed LED fixtures are included in the mandatory list with effect from 6th May 2015.
How to custom clear goods falling under mandatory BIS certificate?
The failure of proper compliance of BIS registration processes will result in Customs clearance delays into India.
I am planning to import LED lights from China. What process needs to be followed for compliance with BIS while importing from China?
- Self-ballasted LED lamps for general lighting services
- Fixed general purpose LED luminaries
What other documents are needed for custom clearing of LED lamp imported from China?
- Commercial Invoice
- Packing Lis
- Insurance cover note
- Bill of Lading / AWB
- Country of Origin certificate
Price list, product catalogs and copy of purchase order or contract may be required by the customs department, but it is not mandatory to submit these initially while applying for import clearance. Visit this link for custom duty and import process for goods imported from China to India.