There are many meter taxies and private cars (illegal) which can offer to take you from one part of the market to another part. The going price for a short distance up to 2 km is 10 RMB and 20 for long distance between 3 to 5 kms. Price may vary depending on the time of the day, your ethnicity and driver’s mood at that precise moment.
why hiring A taxi for full day makes sense
When you travel from Guangzhou by bus to Shunde, you will spend about 150 to 200 RMB that includes local taxi to the intercity bus station from your hotel, Foshan bus station to furniture market. Add another 50 to 100 for taxi around the Shunde furniture market not to mention you will spend at least an hour or more for bus and taxi. I would suggest that pay a little extra 100 and get a car for the whole day.
avoiding common taxi fraud and scams in china
- Do keep note of the driver's mobile phone number if you hire car for the whole day
- Do take pictures of car’s license registration number and driver’s license number as it will help to locate the driver in case something goes wrong.
- Do take a bigger car if you are more than 4 people as the law allows total 5 people including driver in a sedan or mid size car.
- Do not leave your valuable in the car
- Do not give RMB 100 bill when you have to pay 10 RMB for short trip. It is possible, that driver will change your bill with a fake one with sleight of hand.
- Do not go to any good place suggested by the taxi driver, it generally means hefty commission to bring a customer.
- Do not abuse driver physically in case of any dispute, In China, who hits first goes to the prison.