by bus to guangzhou, china
The cheapest way to reach Guangzhou is to take a cross border bus operating from the ground floor of terminal 2 of the HKIA airport. There are many companies offering regular bus service to different towns of the mainland including Shenzhen and Guangzhou.
There are three main companies that provide excellent transfer services to the mainland China. Most of them have bus every 15 minutes starting from 7 am to 11 pm, connecting HKIA to all major cities and town in the pearl river delta region. They all offer drop off at major hotels in Guangzhou that includes The Garden Hotel, Guangzhou Hotel, China Hotel by Marriot and Dong Fang Hotel.
1. Eternal East Cross Border Coach
3. Go Go Bus (offers online booking)
The price last checked was HK$230 quoted by all three companies so question one should ask is when is the next bus leaving for the mainland. Sometime they can sell you a ticket and make you wait over 30 minutes because of non availability of buses.
Eternal East also offers cross border transfer by limousine for a small extra charge. This allows you to enter china and complete border crossing while sitting in the limo. The Limo will take you to drive through window similar to fast food companies where immigration officer will complete border crossing formalities.
It takes about 3.5 to 4 hours to reach Guangzhou.
by train to guangzhou
There are two ways one can reach the Hong Hom station. The first and quickest option is to take the airport express train (HK$90) to Kowloon station. The journey will take 20 minutes and another 10 minutes by taxi (HK$ 35) to the Hong Hom Station.
Another option is to take the City Flyer bus No A21 from the bus station located between Terminal 1 & 2. Bus ride would cost HK $33 and the driver does not provide change so buy the ticket from window in advance or tender exact fare. The journey will be about 45 minutes, ending at the Hong Hom station.
Once you are in the Hong Homg train station, you can buy a ticket for Guangzhou KCR through train for HK$ 190 or HK$ 230 (first class). If you have time, try to take double-decker KTT through train. Immigration formalities for Hong Kong are done at this train station and formalities for entering China is completed at the Guangzhou east train station.
1. Please check that you have a valid Chinese visa to enter. Although Hong Kong is part of China but one needs a separate visa for entering the mainland China.
2. If you have missed the last train do not despair. There is still a way! Take the East line local train going to the Lo Wu, border station connecting to Shenzhen, China. It will take HK$ 33 and you can be in Shenzhen in 45 minutes. You can take another train from Shenzhen to Guangzhou for RMB 80. I agree that this is not the best way to reach Guangzhou but it is better than missing your all important next day business meeting in China.
3. Once on the train, keep an eye on your luggage as there are reports of stolen bags from the train.
By ferry to nansha port near gaungzhou
One can easily take a taxi from the Nansha port to Guangzhou or Shunde furniture city. Ferry service is a good option for people who want to go directly to Shunde.
If you are already in Hongkong city, it is also possible to take a ferry from the China Ferry Terminal in Tsim Sha Tsui to Shunde. The first ferry leaves at 7:30 in the morning and the last one at 8:20 pm. There are 12 ferries in a day and it takes a couple of hours to reach Shunde port.